edam
in left perspective

Saturday 8 February 2014

Poetry In Struggle - 2



What did you do? Did your word ever come
for your brother of the deep mines,
for the grief of the betrayed,
did your fiery syllable ever come
to plead for your people and defend them?

Pablo Neruda.

from CANTO GENERAL
(1950)

Pablo Neruda

I Accuse

Then I accused the man
who had strangled hope,
I called out to America’s corners
and put his name in the cave
of dishonor.
Then they reproached
me for crimes, that pack
of flunkies and hired hoodlums:
the “secretaries of government,”
the police, wrote their murky insult
against me with tar,
but the walls were watching
when the traitors
wrote my name in large letters,
and the night erased,
with its innumerable hands,
hands of the people and the night,
the ignominy that they try
in vain to cast on my song.

Then they went at night to burn
my house (the fire now marks
the name of he who send them),
and all the judges joined together
to condemn me, to summon me,
to crucify my words
and punish these truths.

They closed Chile’s cordilleras
so that I couldn’t leave
to tell what’s happening here,
and when Mexico opened its doors
to welcome me and protect me,
Torres Bodet, pitiful poet,
demanded that I be delivered
to the furious jailers.

But my word’s alive
and my free heart accuses.

How will it end, how will it end?
In Pisagua’s night, jail, chains,
silence, the country debased,
and this bleak year, year of blind rats,
this bleak year of rage and rancor,
you ask, you ask me how will it end?

The Victorious People

My heart’s in this struggle.
My people will overcome. All the peoples
will overcome, one by one.
These sorrows
will be wrung like handkerchiefs until
all the tears shed on the desert’s
galleries, on graves, on the steps
of human martyrdom, are squeezed dry.
But the victorious time’s nearby.
Let hatred reign so that punishment’s
hands won’t tremble,
let the hour hand
reach its timetable in the pure instant,
and let the people fill the empty streets
with fresh and firm dimensions.

Here’s my tenderness for that time.
You’ll know it. I have no other flag.

(‘The Poetry of Pablo Neruda’, Ed. Ilan Stavens, pp. 235-236, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2005).



BAGHDAD
(2004)

 Kunhappa Pattannur

A scream
That writhes up
Towards the church domes
Beneath the curls of incense
And soft holy murmurs?

Beside the graves
The cassocks, crosses and oaths
The cannibals
With their venomous orations?

NO…

The march of history
Cannot be drowned
In these tides of blood

NO…

These nightmares
Cannot enfeeble
The strides……

The bay
Shall wake up once again
With the symphony of pangs
And the melody of sandstorms
The songs, the flowers
The shining pupils.

The lush forests and the green banks
The juvenescent waves of Tigris.
The cribs and lullabies
Shall surely be back.

A village boy…
A turbaned sultan…
Tales that singe the brain
Like oil wells
That burn out

Those who crowned thrice
Shall end in this fire-this fuel
On the outskirts of the holy city
Children shall gather with their songs…

The citadel of the west shall wither
Crumble
The vermin shall perish
In their glass houses

From the agony of the massacres
Shall sprout a heroic lore
The night of setting heroes
Shall come to an end
When a star explodes!

(‘Baghdad’, pp. 19-20, Kavitha Publishers, Kannur. Translated from the Malayalam by C. Padmanabhan)

No comments:

Post a Comment