edam
in left perspective

Saturday 22 February 2014

Poetry In Struggle - 3

Go, brave man! Go, giant! Go, loving
madman! And tread the venomous brambles
that like poison gnaw the soles
of the criminal in that grim domain
where murderers must walk forever!

Go! - and those six luminous stars
shall follow and guide you, and your
shoulders will be helped to bear their burden
by all who've ever drunk the bitter wine of life!

Jose Marti (Cuban Poet)

I HATE THE SEA
(1882)
Jose Marti

I hate the sea, beautiful only when it howls
beneath the cleaving keel of a conquering
ship and like some fantastic demon
cloaked in colossal black
bends in the winds of night
before the sublime victor who passes:-
and by the light of stars enclosed
in crystal globes, upon the bridge,
a man, impassive, turns the page of a book.

I hate the sea: huge and flat, cold and level,
not as the leafy jungle, stretching branches
like arms to clasp the sad soul
that comes wounded by men's hardness
and doubts the good life,
nor as an honourable fighter, firm
on the ground, solid-chested, does it wait us,
but on perfidious shifting sands
like the deadly snake.- The sea, too,
and the sun, and Nature
must be frank to move man
to virtue, must live in honour.
No palm trees, no flowers: to me
it is ever a dark and abandoned soul.

That I am a dead man, still walking, is clear and matters not,
even to me; but for its beauty, fire,
variety and deathlessness, I love life.

It isn't living that pains me: it hurts
to live and not do good. I love my pain,
the pain that is my noble coat of arms.
I will not blame provident life
for my own misfortune, or poison
others' joy with my sorrows.
The earth is good, existence is holy.
And in sorrow itself new reasons
to live are discovered, and highest joy,
clear as a dawn and penetrating.
May they die once and for all, those fools
who think the tears that spill from their eyes
a greater and more beautiful thing
than the blue sky and thronging sea!

I hate the sea, enormous corpse, sad corpse
where hateful creatures dwell,
torpid and gluttonous: like the eyes
of a fish dying of its own excesses
are those of love's hired hand who trembles
in the arms of some horrid, rutting woman:-
I see it and I said it: some men are cowards,
and silence what they see and feel.
Not I: if I find a wicked man before me,
I say so in clear speech: there walks a wicked man.
Unlike the sea I do not hide my breast
or clutter my sacred verse with trifles,
weaving rosaries for the ladies
and masks of honour for thieves:

I hate the sea, which unraging bears
on its complacent back the ship
that 'mid flowers and music brings a tyrant.

('Free Verses', Selected Writings, Ed. and Trans. by Esther Allen, pp. 67-69, Penguin Books, 2002.)


A CHILD IS LOOKING AT ME
(2012)

G. Harikrishnan

A child is looking at me:
Bloated head wrinkled body twisted arms and legs
- A kid or elder?
Is it a hushed scream in your gaze? A question?
I glance at the footnote:
Who's your mother-
nuclear fall, leaked gas or chemical rain?

From the lap of a faceless
A child is looking at me:
You're clasping your frail hands around that body
-This much trust in the world
that hacks away in the dark
at your genetic steps?
You're clasping your cold hands
around me

Crawling for a morsel,
Paling before a loaded gun,
Melting beneath a bomb,
Through closed yet unsealed eyes
A child is looking at me

Is it your face glimpsed
beyond the window pane of my secured room?
Your feeble cry echoed?

Child,
Shall I step out of this room,
walk into the forest
and prostrate
before the first tiger?
-to fling at your outstretched hand
this fading metaphor mint?
Only when drinking
in dimmed and chilled rooms
that my throat cracks and eyes burn,
and I remember you?
Where am I
in blazed and heated streets?

Raising you off the lap
and putting you down on the bare ground
passes by the faceless in the picture

You're looking at me.

('Nimishangalude Pusthakam', pp. 103-104, Insight Publica, 2012. Translated from the malayalam by the poet himself.)


No comments:

Post a Comment